My module was not an original LM465, but a cheaper copy - the Philips Magnavox LMT-101. It seems to be identical to the original, but I got it for US$ 3.95 at a mail order store. I converted it using the instructions at redoak.co.uk. They also have a circuit diagram online. All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.
This is what the module looks like in its pristine state:
|left: original module and interior||right: the module and its parts|
Since all resistors were 0.5W types already, I only had to exchange three
components: The large blue capacitor, the MOV (which was a bit hard to find
because it looked like one of these capacitors), and a 100 Ohm resistor.
I bought these parts at a local electronics store:
Here's a detail photo of each replacement I made. Of course, I first removed all the old parts and then put in the new ones.
|left: 0.68µ/250V capacitor (old)||right: 0.33µ/400V capacitor (new)|
|left: 120V MOV (old)||right: 250V MOV (new)|
|left: 0.5W resistor (old)||right: 1W resistor (new)|
|left: finished module with wires (ground still to be connected)||right: finished module in original case|
I was quite happy with the result. It worked, it didn't get warm, and it didn't make a sound (in stark contrast to the "clack" produced by the appliance modules).
Try this at your own risk. It may not be wise to connect the module to a power strip like I did... one day someone plugs a vaccum cleaner in, and I doubt that the triac would survive that. If you intend to operate the module at 240V AC, take a look at aforementioned instructions from redoak.co.uk and think about replacing the triac by a higher-voltage type. It seems to be ok for the German utility voltage of 230V AC.